The idea behind Book Craft Days are that we read a story, then do activities based around the book. Miss H loves reading and these days really encourage her to think a little more about the story and then get creative; it really is the best of both worlds. These can be done with any book, but if your not feeling too creative, don’t worry you can always recreate some of our days; make sure you tag us on Twitter on Instagram so we can see the fun you are having!
Our first book day is The Giant Jam Sandwich.
This is a well written and wonderful story that rhymes you through the tale of a village being swarmed by wasps and how the villagers make The Giant Jam Sandwich as a way of catching them all.
After reading the book we made some bread, then while that was baking we made a jam sandwich (which Miss H pretty much started to eat straight away!), then we made a wasp! You can see our photos below along with the bread recipe and wasp instructions (I won’t insult you with a jam sandwich recipe!).
- Tip the flour, yeast and salt into a large bowl and mix together with your hands.
- Mix the water, oil and honey.
- Pour the water, oil and honey into the mixture and kneed into a soft dough, kneed the dough for 5 minutes.
- Oil a loaf tin and press in the dough. Put the loaf tin in a large food bag and seal it, leave it for 1 hour until the dough rises.
- Preheat oven to 180 C Fan or Gas Mark 6.
- Bake the loaf for 30-35 minutes until Golden and Crisp; do not open the oven for the first half of baking!
- Turn the loaf out onto a cooling rack.
- When cool, make it into a beautiful jam sandwich!
What you will need:
1. Scrunch up the old newspaper into the shape of a wasp, fold the black paper around it and stick it together with sellotape.
2. Fold the yellow paper into a thin stripe and wrap this around the wasp just past the head. Repeat this just before the end.
3. Using your Pritt Stick, stick 2 eyes onto the wasp face.
4. Using sellotape, stick a pipe cleaner just above the eyes to make tentacles!
5. Fold the black card in half, cut a circle out of the middle, Stick the clear plastic onto the black card over the cutout circles & then stick it onto the wasp to form wings.
There you have it a wasp!
We had such fun on our The Giant Jam Sandwich. day! I would recommend this as an incredibly fun activity to do at home. This would be a perfect rainy day activity!
Want more rainy day activities?
Disclaimer: This post contains Amazon Affiliate Links.
Linked up to: